LAPD Investigates Lesbian Officer for Gay-On-Straight Hate Crime

The Los Angeles Police Department’s Internal Affairs division is investigating openly gay officer Stacey Simmons (pictured left) for what her accuser is calling a gay-on-straight hate crime. I happen to be her accuser.

On May 26th, members of the GLBT community marched through West Hollywood in protest of the California Supreme Court’s decision to uphold Proposition 8, passed by the majority of California voters last November. As usual, protesters accused those in favor of traditional marriage of being hateful and intolerant. However, as I attended this rally and others in the past, I have found the GLBT community to be the more hateful, intolerant, and occasionally violent side of the debate.

I attended the protest to remind observers of the opposing voice which represents the majority of Californians. My sign read, “Stop HATING democracy. TOLERATE my vote.” I was aware of the risk involved in going alone, but the ample police presence brought me comfort and assurance that I would be okay. Little did I know that the greatest threat to my rights and safety would come from openly gay LAPD officer Stacey Simmons.

As I marched peacefully, Simmons’ attention was drawn toward me by a heavy-set woman screaming in my face. This angry protester shouted threats such as, “you better be afraid” and posed a clear threat to my safety. In an obviously biased move by gay LAPD officer Simmons, instead of addressing the threat to my safety by the angry woman, Simmons became more physical than any of the protesters and used her body to shove me to the sidewalk. Now separated from the hateful protester, Simmons, under Captain Jeri Weinstein’s (pictured right) supervision, had me hand-cuffed by other officers without providing any details of the situation before she fled the scene.

At what point will we realize that the GLBT community, including Officer Stacey Simmons, will not let menial obstacles such as democracy or the rights of others stand in their way of getting what they want? I realize I would be hard-pressed to find much sympathy or support for what I feel is a gay-on-straight hate crime. However, imagine this scenario had been reversed and a strait LAPD officer failed to address a Yes on 8 protester threatening a gay demonstrator and then denied the homosexual of their right to peacefully protest. The media would be shouting the injustice from the rooftops and the ACLU would mercilessly pressure the LAPD for that officer’s resignation. Unfortunately, as a straight white Christian male I apparently don’t have the right to have my voice heard and certainly won’t be given the greatly rewarded and elevated title of “victim”. So much for equal rights.

14 Responses to LAPD Investigates Lesbian Officer for Gay-On-Straight Hate Crime

1. Irla says:

Love your post.

2. Tyler says:

Garrett, don't be deterred by what anyone says to you under the cowardly mask of anonymity. You have courage and moral conviction on your side, and in the end, that's all that matters. In reading your post, I was suddenly reminded of the marches of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He too was often the victim of injustice and had little recourse to remedy the wrongs which were committed against him.

I hope your inspiring civility toward the opposing side will set an example, one that is certainly worthy of emulation!!

Way to stand up for truth and right, Garrett!!
    God bless democracy!!

I appreciate that you recognize my reasonable and intellectual approach to this issue. I also respect your right to disagree with my vote…and to oppose my vote with your own. If gay marriage passes by the voice of the people, then so be it. What can I do besides send my kids to a private school (or home-school them), or move out of the state. I certainly wouldn't fight democracy.

I just don't appreciate the "equal rights" lie and the effort to over-turn the voice of the people. Besides that, if you feel same-sex marriage is best for our society…than that is where we can respectfully disagree.

Again, I've allowed myself to get distracted from the main point of the post. Ruth, you're more disciplined than myself. haha.

4. Anonymous says:

Just as I find it frustrating when people assume everyone in favor of traditional marriage is Christian or do so for biblical reasons…it would be wrong to assume that everyone in favor of same-sex marriage is Godless or homosexual.

My point is, lets move away from the empty or manipulative one-line arguments. For example, I would never use the argument, "homosexuality is un-natural and just sick" because I don't believe society or our laws need not put an end to anything viewed as "un-naturual" or "sick". Likewise, it would be weak to just say, "keep your morals (or your God) out of gov't" because you would be suggesting that morals play no role in the formation of laws and that religion and govn't in no way interact with eachother.

(Everything you said here is going in the right direction. That doesn't make voting against someone sharing a gov recog marriage cert right)

Thanks for sticking on topic Ruth! I always love your comments. D&C 121:39 says it all eh?

As I mentioned in my comments to the LAPD, it's even more disappointing because I believe in "the system" and feel like since I'm always (ok, I speed a little bit in the car) on the right side of the law…they should be on my side, protecting my rights and safety. But I have now had multiple experiences in which have let me down, where I've seen officers act rashly and abuse their authority. That may be worthy of its own post in the future.

6. Ruth says:

Wow it looks like Homosexual marriage is more worthy of many people commenting than… Politicians having no integrity… or the intended idea of reverse discrimination… There are many people in the world that if you give them any power or authority they will use it in the worst way possible. It's things like that which make it so many rapes go prosecuted.

It may seem unrelated… but it's the same thing… people have power… and they don't like something so they act unjustly.

Okay, you definitely win the "best spin" award for the most ridiculous manipulation of my "murder and morality" comment. I used an extreme illustration to help even the stupidest of people see that moral judgments of right and wrong are integrated into every vote cast. It takes a pretty dumb person to think that the collective morals of society aren’t or shouldn't be reflected in their laws…but it takes a person of profound ignorance to interpret my comment so poorly.

Also, correction… nation-wide, voters are much more in favor of traditional marriage than against it.

Finally…CA's liberal legislature have probably equipped prisons with sweet new Apple computers with high-speed internet…and I will not discriminate from them reading and commenting. haha.

Oh…I assume you meant your Glenn Beck comment to be an insult, but you hit the nail on the head with that one. Beck is one of my all-time heroes! I’m honored, thank you. I’d like to thank all the little people.

8. Anonymous says:

I know that you want to be the next Glen Beck or Limbaugh. You are right. I guess a few more people are against marriage for gays then for. However, most people are down the middle. You have either unconsciously or consciously compared gays to murderers with you moral compass idea. You have crossed the line into radical. The only people that will now listen to you are other radicals that have something to hide. I suggest you push this blog in prisons or at Exodus conventions. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be a big hit!

9. Anonymous says:

I'm not the same "Anonymous", but dude, chill the heck out. This is someone's blog, and this someone is entitled to his own opinion. Open your own blog, and express your own opinion if you have such a problem with it.

Jake, while I enjoyed your "slapping little children" tolerance comment, Anonymous makes a great point.

The point of this post is to highlight the double standard for "minorities" and the injustice of a biased LAPD officer.

11. Anonymous says:

"And of course you doubt God 'Anonymous'…because it's easier to avoid the guilt of a lifestyle He undoubtedly opposes. God lives. If you'd rather believe your Great-Great-Great etc Grandpa was Curious George, then go right ahead…but my Father is God."

You call me a coward? It's "easier to avoid the guilt"? So just because I don't believe in "God", means I have done something I feel guilty about? Garret himself said that everyone has some sort or moral compass (props for that) but, you know, there is a cure for schitzophrenia.

12. The Jake says:

Haha is RIGHT! 'Anonymous'?! What a coward. Ignorance and hate? Where is the ignorance and hate in Garrett's post? Where is the intolerance of something that is GOOD?

When will the GLBT community realize that respectfully disagreeing with a certain lifestyle does not constitute hate?

When will you realize that being 'intolerant' isn't necessarily a bad thing? If I wanted to slap every little child I saw…and you tried to stop me…I could say you were 'intolerant' of my desires. The 'intolerant' one is a horrible argument…and equally laughable as your 'ignorance' and 'hate' comments.

The hate, ignorance, and intolerance are brashly shoved down the throats of all who disagree with them. Talk about hypocrisy.

Haha. Way to provide an intellectual counter-argument to address the points I made. Except…when did I mention anything about church? Just the same old played-out lines.

But since you brought it up…

You seem a bit unsure about God ("probably"?). I can tell you that without a doubt (not probably), there IS a God. But you don't have to believe in Him to have "beliefs and morals". Everyone has some sort of moral compass and belief structure that direct and guide their choices…including how they vote. If you don't believe murder is morally wrong…too bad. The majority of society disagrees with you, and have forced their morality upon you. Welcome to democracy. If you want to push anarchy…you have that right…but you should just come right out and say, "I hate democracy when it doesn't go my way. Anarchy rules!"

You say, "keep church out of gov't"…but what about "keep gov't out of church"? Marriage was a religious institution before the gov't felt it was worthy of legal recognition. You apparently haven't done enough homework to know that in Massachusetts, gay-marriage forced Catholic adoption charities to close up shop. But your world is a one way street, right? Your way, or the highway. Again, your right…just very un-American.

14. Anonymous says:

Your ignorance and hate is truly astounding. keep your church out of my government.

there probably is no god, so stop pushing your god-driven beliefs and morals of what you believe to be the correct way to live into my life.