I’m not as good as you.

Say it with me, “I am not as good as you”. With the right understanding, internalizing this idea is not only therapeutic, but it’s promotion may just save our nation from the path we are currently on of destroying the principles of ambition and success to arrive at the lowest common denominator. Allow me to explain.

To start, I wish to point out that I could have just as easily started with “You’re not as good as me”. However, since it seems to be human nature to accept and even relish in ones own strengths and abilities, it is the envy and insecurity of the lack of ability, or inferiority, in comparison with another that provides the foundation and drive from which this damning movement stems.

Today I finished reading C.S. Lewis’ “The Screwtape Letters”. In it (specifically “Screwtape Proposes a Toast”) Screwtape, a leading demon in hell mentions that while democracy correctly refers to the political ideal that men should be equally treated, Satan and his demons seek to use envy and an insecurity of inferiority to transition it into a factual belief that all men are equal, thus manipulating the meaning of “democracy”.

As written by Lewis, Screwtape states:

The claim to equality, outside the strictly political field, is made only by those who feel themselves to be in some way inferior. What it expresses is precisely the itching, smarting, writhing awareness of an inferiority which the patient refuses to accept.

And therefore resents. Yes, and therefore resent every kind of superiority in others; denigrates it; wishes its annihilation. Presently he suspects every mere difference of being a claim to superiority.

Screwtape then points out that with such a mindset, those who might otherwise achieve success or excellence can be shamed and discouraged to do so:

Under the same influence, those who come, or could come, nearer to a full humanity, actually draw back from it for fear of being undemocratic.

Screwtape then illustrates how this ideal plays out in the classroom:

The basic principle of the new education is to be that dunces and idlers must not be made to feel inferior to intelligent and industrious pupils. That would be ‘undemocratic’.

All incentives to learn and all penalties for not learning will vanish. The few who might want to learn will be prevented; who are they to overtop their fellows? And anyway the teachers – or should I say nurses? – will be far too busy reassuring the dunces and patting them on the back to waste any time on real teaching.

Finally Screwtape summarizes the end result of this false manipulation of “democracy”:

For ‘democracy’ or the ‘democratic spirit’ (diabolical sense) leads to a nation without great men, a nation mainly of subliterates, morally flaccid from lack of discipline in youth, full of the cocksureness which flattery breeds on ignorance, and soft from lifelong pampering.

Before I’m demonized by politically correct liberals, I wish to declare my belief that God loves all His children equally and wishes them all happiness. This, however, does not mean we must ignore the obvious truth that some are more talented or gifted, in some (or many) ways, than others. The bible (1 cor 12: 14-25) teaches the principle that while our differences will lead us to play different roles with relative differences in apparent honor or nobility, we can each be secure and find success and significance in the role we play. In other words, while the waterboy may not have the skill or enjoy the fame of the quarterback, he can still be a successful waterboy, happy in the significance of his role in the team.
(My Mormon friends and others may also benefit by studying Abr. 3: 17-19)

Recently and currently, liberals have undertaken a campaign to flatter the lazy or those who otherwise seek the shelter of reparations of victimization to believe that those who have achieved success or excellence must be burdened and stripped of the fruits of their accomplishments until everyone else can feel equal and believe “I’m as good as you”. For those who might not realize it, I’m referring to all you “tax the rich, spread the wealth, Sí se puede, Obama is the Messiah” people. In word and principle, the promotion of liberal ideals kills initiative and makes success and excellence shameful and burdensome as a sacrifice to protect the sensitivities of those insecure of the role they play in society.

8 Responses to I’m not as good as you.

1. Anonymous says:

True . I stand corrected on the progressive tax. The impact of 10% on the struggling single mother is a lot. It makes it a little harder for her to put food on the table than the millionaire at 10.55.

2. Diane says:

Have you read The Naked Capitalist? It not then put in on your list.

While we agree on the “equal” thing, I think your definition of “poor” is as different as our understanding of income tax brackets.First of all, income tax is a progressive tax, meaning the richer you get, the more you pay. In CA, a single person (like a “poor” single mother) earning 47K or more a year is taxed 9.55%…and it’s 10.55% if your making $1M or more. Add capital gains taxes (remember, its the rich that drive our economy by making investments instead of debt and completely irresponsible sub-prime loans) and other taxes, the top 1% of taxpayers account for 40% of the revenues… yet liberals continue to claim we have to make the rich pay their fair share.I say they be more honest with their “peter-pan” whining and just say, “I’m still not convinced I’m as good as you… instead of being inspired by your success and working harder and smarter…just give me your money.”

4. Anonymous says:

As stated in “An Inconvenient Book” by Glenn Beck, emphasis is falsely applied to the Declaration of Independence. Instead of reading “all men are created EQUAL”, we should read, “all men are CREATED equal”. For as Beck states, “Every man is created equal. It’s what you do with it from there that makes the difference…we control our own destiny. Not everyone is created equal. We all have differnt personalities and temperments. We should all have equal oppurtunity to find what it is we as individuals are best at to best contribute to society and not all feel presure to fight to the top. I think in this unknown time we need to reconsider what is really important to us in this short time we are here. It is common fact that those earning higher are by no means tax in the same way those earning less are. 10% or more of some poor single mothers income will be taxed when she could use it. While a high earner is taxed much less by percentage.

5. Anonymous says:

Well constructed thoughts! My dad was just talking about stuff like this because he got a 200 dollar ticket for parking his truck on the street in Lynnwood. The law is strange and unposted… This makes it seem like it is a way to punish those who are working… especially working in a town where they do not live and are unfamiliar with the laws… Gotta get all the money you can from those who are working… we can’t let them pull us out of the recession by buying stuff for pete sakes… then what excuse will we have to take their money… Crazy buggers!–Ruth (a little discombobulated I know…)

Thanks Janine! Your kindness has always meant a lot to me. Your comment reminds me of what Rush Limbaugh said in last night’s CPAC address, which is that the best way to throw a liberal off is by informing them that their ideals are cruel to both society and the individual.As to contacting magazines and such, I would appreciate your help. I think it would mean more and be more effective if it came from my readers. Maybe I will anyhow. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. Janine says:

Garrett- I wholeheartedly agree with you, and as I read this post to my husband this morning, it dawned on me how even a seemingly charitable person could be taken advantage of (if they allow it) by believing that they are actually helping those around them in this manner. Bravo…you need to start submitting your blog posts to magazines, you need a bigger audience my friend!